Have you ever wondered what the net worth of Tom Hanks is? If you’re a movie lover, odds are you have heard of him. Having starred in several American classics, he is truly an icon within Hollywood. Over his career, he has become a strong advocate for never giving up. Whether it be on or off the screen, Hanks has always inspired viewers to always keep pushing. Through these cinematic ventures, Tom Hanks has amassed a net worth of $400 million dollars. In this post, we will discuss how Hanks has become so successful, in addition to what we can take away from his story.
Tom Hanks was born on July 9, 1956, in Concord, California. His father, Amos Mefford Hanks, was an itinerant cook while his mother, Janet Marylyn, was a hospital worker. In 1960, his parents divorced and Tom moved with his father. His two older siblings also joined, the youngest staying with his Mom. Consequently, Hanks was always on the move. In fact, by the age of ten, he had moved to ten different houses.
Hanks acted in school plays, including South Pacific, while attending Skyline High School in Oakland, California. Hanks studied theater at Chabot College in Hayward, California. He then transferred to California State University, Sacramento after two years. During his years studying theater, Hanks met Vincent Dowling. Dowling was the head of the Great Lakes Theater Festival. Here, he got Tom Hanks an internship that would last three years!
During this time, Hanks learned about theater production, lighting, set design, and stage management. He quickly fell in love with cinema and acting. Consequently, Hanks dropped out of school and worked hard to perfect his acting. In 2010, Time magazine named Hanks one of the “Top 10 College Dropouts!”
Tom Hanks began his acting career in 1978 by starring in The Two Gentlemen of Verona. Hank’s debut film was a great success, winning him the Best Actor award. He acted in various other summer productions of Shakespeare’s plays. In the winter, he worked for a theater company. Hanks made his first movie debut in 1980 when he starred in ‘He Knows You’re Alone’.
The following year, Hanks got a chance to perform in the television sitcom ‘Bosom Buddies’ which earned him critical acclaim. His performance was lauded and he soon began appearing in blockbuster hits. Hanks lost 37 pounds for the film and his performance won him an Oscar and an MTV Movie Award! In 1988, he teamed up with director Steven Spielberg for his first time where he performed a challenging role in ‘Saving Private Ryan’ that got him his fourth nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actor.
Tom Hanks Rises To Stardom
In 1994, Hanks played the leading role of Forrest Gump, in the American classic ‘Forrest Gump.’ Hanks won his second Best Actor Academy Award for his role in Forrest Gump, becoming only the second actor to have accomplished the feat of winning consecutive Best Actor Oscars. In 1996, Hanks wrote and directed That Thing You Do!, kicking off his career behind the camera as both a producer and director. He has since directed and/or produced several more movies, including Cast Away and The Polar Express.
A few years later, he played the role of the famed Robert Langdon in the sequel of ‘The Da Vinci Code,’ and the second movie ‘Angels and Demons’. He was the executive producer of the 2012 film ‘Game Change’ which was based on the 2008 presidential election. Since then, Hanks has had minimal movie appearances. His most notable of which were the late installments of ‘Toy Story 3,’ and ‘Toy Story 4.’
Tom Hanks Notable Films
Here’s a list of some of Tom Hank’s most prominent films:
- Forrest Gump (1994)
- Apollo 13 (1995)
- Toy Story (1995)
- Saving Private Ryan (1998)
- Toy Story 2 (1999)
- Cast Away (2000)
- The Polar Express (2005)
- The Da Vinci Code (2006)
- The Simpson’s Movie (2007)
- The Great Buck Howard (2008)
- Toy Story 3 (2010)
- Toy Story 4 (2019)
Tom Hanks Net Worth 2022
As of April 2022, Tom Hanks has a net worth of $400 million dollars. Considering he is one of America’s most famous actors, this comes as no surprise. Reports indicate that Tom Hanks earned an estimated $300 million dollars in movie salary between 1988 and 2010, which would translate to $450 million dollars today. The following decade, the actor is believed to have netted another $100 million dollars in movie salary.
In addition to acting, Tom Hanks is also a real estate mogul. According to reports, real estate takes up roughly $150 million dollars of his net worth. In 1991, he purchased a house in Malibu Colony at $2.95 million dollars. The property’s current value is estimated to be more than $20 million dollars. In 2010, the actor purchased his official residence in Pacific Palisades for $26 million dollars. He has since acquired five more lavish homes in the same neighborhood. Tom Hanks also owns properties in Florida and Sun Valley Idaho.
- Follow your dreams: If Tom Hanks wouldn’t have dropped out of college, he would have never fallen in love with the art of acting. While this may have seemed unconventional, he had to be brave and confident in his ability to succeed. If you’re feeling hesitant about pursuing an unconventional route, send it all the way! By exploring outside of our comfort zones, we can better understand ourselves and mold our life in the direction its meant to head in.
- Become a master of your craft: Before Hanks became the succesful, prominent actor that he is today, he first learned the basics of cinema. He understood that if we become masters of any given subject, it’s easier to be succesful in any of its’ given niches. No matter what it is that interests you, seek to learn as much about it as possible. This will propell you to be more entrepreneurial, confident in yourself and succesful!
- Build generational wealth: While Tom Hanks is an acting mogul, a third of his net worth lies in real estate. He, like many of the wealthy, understand that net worths are built over time with assets. The more assets over liabilities we own, the greater our chances of net worth prosperity!