Who is Brendon Burchard?
This week, I review High Performance Habits by Brendon Burchard. Burchard is one of the most influential High-Performance coaches in the world. Earlier in life, he suffered a near-death experience and was motivated to live his life to the fullest and become an ultra high-performer. When Burchard embarked on this journey, however, he quickly realized that he had plateaued.
He realized that the things we learn about success and how to accomplish it only explain the beginning of the story. He then set out on a mission to research and find the answers to the following questions:
- “Why do some individuals and teams succeed more quickly than others and sustain that success over the long term?
- Of those who pull it off, why are some miserable and others happy on their journey?
- What motivates people to reach for higher levels of success in the first place? What kinds of habits, training, and support help them improve faster?” (Burchard, 10)
“Brendon has spent decades analyzing results from thousands of interviews, surveys, and coaching sessions with some of the world’s happiest and most successful people. From that data, Brendon narrowed down the results to a few dozen “habits” or practices and then finally to the 6 High-Performance Habits or the “HP6”. These are the ones that he felt were deliberate, observable, malleable, trainable, and most important, useful across domains.”Burchard, page. 36
The HP6 are Clarity, Energy, Necessity, Productivity, Influence, and Courage. As you can see, these are less specific habits and more approaches to life that we can develop. In this book, Burchard explains how each of the HP6 is correlated to high-performance. It also includes an assessment of where you are now and how to improve in each HP6 category!
What Will You Learn in High-Performance Habits?
- The HP6 or the six habits strongly correlated with sustained high performance. The book is divided into three sections:
- Personal habits or the first 3 habits: Seeking clarity, generating energy, raising necessity
- Social habits or the next 3 habits: Increasing productivity, developing influence, demonstrating courage
- How to sustain that success and some traps to avoid that will otherwise derail you from your path
- The High-Performance Assessment to grade yourself in each of the 6 habits with clear questions and examples of how to improve your score. The assessment can be found at HighPerformanceIndicator.com
- Specific examples of how high achievers cultivate each of these 6 proven habits into their daily routines and how you can do the same. Additionally, Brendon includes practical examples of how to develop your proficiency in each HP6 category.
Final Verdict: 9.8/10
I am a STRONG believer in the quote by Aristotle that says, “…We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” I genuinely enjoy reading books on habit formation and the habit patterns of successful people because to change your life’s circumstances, you must change your daily habits.
High-Performance Habits is a must-read for anyone that wants to take control of their daily routines and approach to productivity. I love this book because it stems from decades of quantitative research, and so the HP6 are each strongly correlated with high performance across different domains. Brendon Burchard has obsessed over finding what motivates the top achievers among us, and we can now use this guide to join them.
I rank this book a 9.8/10 and will be re-reading this book multiple times a year! You can purchase High-Performance Habits audiobook on Audible, or if you’re old school like me, the hard copy on Amazon.
Which is your favorite of the HP6? If you liked this article, you’ll love my review of Elon Musk, by Ashlee Vance.